STEP BY STEP
1. Put all the spices (cinnamon, clove, star anise, cardamom, lemon grass, tamarind/sumac) in a mortar and grind them finely.
2. Thinly slice one red and one green chili, garlic, galangal, and shallots and put this into a mortar and grind into a fine paste.
3. Cut the meat into large chunks. Heat the oil at 350 C and crust the meat on all sides until golden.
4. Add the ground spices to the meat and stir around a few times, then leave the meat aside.
5. Put the spicy paste into a pan at 200 C. Stir around for 1-2 minutes, then add the meat.
6. Pour in the coconut cream. Add fried coconut, lemon leaves and salt to taste.
7. Cook covered at low heat (150 C) for 3.5h or even a bit longer. Once the meat is totally soft, your dish is ready.
Today, we decided to make our version of the famous beef rendang recipe. Rendang is a rich coconut stew, usually made with beef – beef rendang is believed to be the most popular rendang – but it can be made with chicken, lamb, or even jackfruit just as well. This tasty dish has a complexity of flavors like few other dishes, but it’s very easy to make, just like any stew. Make sure to get the right ingredients so the flavor remains authentic. The spices will tickle and satisfy your taste buds and the coconut will provide the creaminess to the texture. You can serve it with white rice or just eat it straight from the pan with roti. In Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore this is a festive dish, but nowadays it is enjoyed all over the world as an everyday dish, both at home and in restaurants. Beef rendang can, conveniently, be kept in the fridge for several days. So… serve warm, eat slowly and enjoy the extravagant intricacy of this beautiful dish.